Skip to main content

How to design hair and make up for a fashion show

On Saturday 16th I was fortunate enough to be the hair and make up designer for Chrissie Nicholson-Wild for her new Autumn Winter 2013 capsule collection that she was showing off at the Guerilla Fashion Show at the Brighton Arts Centre for her brand 'Curve Couture'

I have worked with Chrissie just a few times before so it was really important to get on her wave length with what she was wanting to achieve for the fashion show.  Luckily enough she was happy to give me full artistic range on the hair and make up but there is no point in doing this if it doesn't tie in with the designers theme.

When designing hair and make up for someone else it is important to remember who your client is and why they have asked you to work with them - Your hair and make up needs to compliment and complete their look or theme to the best of its ability.  The finished look will never look right if you have gone off on your own tangent and not listened to the designers needs.

That said..... the best place to start? PINTEREST ! This is a great place to share ideas and get a mood board started so that you are all working towards the same result.
Chrissie had one board already set up before making her wonderful clothing range - this can be viewed at http://pinterest.com/curvecouture/lady-huntress/ Once I had viewed this and had an ind eph discussion I decided to create a hair and make up board using Chrissie's guide lines; http://pinterest.com/amyprifti/guerrilla-fashion-brighton/
Not only was this great for Chrissie to look at and cast her opinion but it was also fantastic to show my creative team of hair stylists and make up artists exactly what look we wanted to create and invite them join in on that creativity by adding their own pins.

I then took to pen and paper to scribble down my designs and the outcome:
Model - Sian Fann

Model - Yolanda Carella

Model - Alice Hayward

Model - Dolly

Model - Gabriella Tavani
 
 
I will do a separate blog on each look and how my team of make up artists and hair stylists - Myself, Kate Bishop and Sarah Vickery achieved each look.
 
I will also be sharing with you the wonderful talent that is Chrissie Nicholson - www.curvecouture.co.uk and her finished outfits.
 
Thank you to Emma Meston - www.emmestphotography.com for taking the above photos and letting me use them.
 
 
Also a huge thank you to Annabelle's Wigs - www.annabelleswigs.co.uk for providing wigs for us to use.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to cover up a tattoo using Camouflage creams

As a cosmetic camouflage practitioner I get asked to cover up scars, burn marks, port wine stains, birth marks, broken capillaries, Rosacea, eczema and all other skin conditions and discolourations.  When I am doing a wedding, I often get asked to cover up a tattoo or two! Below I will outline how you can cover up your own tattoo using Cosmetic camouflage creams. There are many creams available on the market, my product of choice is Dermacolor by Kryolan - this is endorsed by many companies including British Association of British Camouflage and Skin Camouflage Network.  Some of the products are also available on Prescription if your doctor gives you a prescription for the product - otherwise you can buy it direct from Charles H Fox.  1. - tattoo before any cosmetic camouflage creams have been applied. 2. If the tattoo is black, you need to apply a red colour on top of the black to neutralise the colour - I apply the product using a lip brush or liner brush....

Hair & Make-up for the Costume Store's new website

It was great to work with stylist Kate Vaughn and Photographic Studio Imago Photography on this photoshoot providing updated photos for the costume store to use on their website. I was required to apply a very natural make-up with period hair so that the final look could go with all costume changes. The model adapted extremely well and thoroughly enjoyed playing 'dress up' for the day. The costume store is based just outside of Lewes and it is a place where you can visit to buy costumes to be used in TV, Film and Theatre productions. For more photos of this photo shoot please visit the website -  https://thecostumestore.co.uk Hair and make-up by Amy Prifti -  http://www.amyprifti.co.uk Styling by Kate Vaughn Photography by  http://imagophotographic.co.uk/

Fashion Editorial for Solis Magazine - A make up artist's point of view

You can see my full Fashion Editorial for Solis Magazine here  Solis Magazine - Crazy Beautiful As well as sharing the above article, I wanted to write something a bit more personal. I am going to begin with the end of the day..... Once this photo shoot had finished,  I dropped everyone back at the train station to go home. Photographer David Long turned to me and asked 'you know you're good, right?' These five little words asked to an artist are not easy to answer. I can say that I know I'm not a bad make up artist, and I can say that I  know I am good enough to make a career out of it. Being a make up artist is my life, it is all I have ever loved, it is all I have ever known, it is all I have ever wanted to be. I realise that I am extremely lucky to be doing what I love and I will make sure that I carry on doing it, I have worked as a make up artist whilst travelling abroad, it has seen me through one marriage and two beautiful children, and carries on g...