Skip to main content

Make up for darker skin tones

For some reason a lot of make up artists don't feel confident when applying make up for darker skintones -  I love dark skin tones - make up really enhances their skin and colours look vibrant and fresh all day long.

Mistakes made on darker skin tones - If you use a coloured powder to set the foundation, the skin can end up looking quite 'ashy' and not so fresh, therefore I always use a colourless (white) fine powder which simply sets the make up without changing the skin tone.
Darker Matt Eyeshadow colours don't always show up on darker skintones - If you do want to go dark and sultry - always use a shimmer eyeshadow and insert a bit of colour (purple is great mixed with black and brown as it gives depth to the shadow)
Always ask your model what they want to change about their features - Noses can be slimed down (if requested) by Shading on the outside of the nose and highlighting down the center. Lips can Always be made to look thinner by applying a darker lip colour on the outer shape and bringing the colour either lighter or brighter towards the middle of the lips.

I  always embrace each and every feature the person has that I am working on - we only have one face, so let's celebrate it!

Below are some photos from Saturday's wedding showing exactly what looks you can achieve and a list of the make up products I used for each person.


Foundation - supercover #33, concealor - supercover #33, Powder - supercover ultra fine setting powder colourless(white),  Eyebrows - Kryolan eyebrow powder in Dark,   Eyeshadow - non branded electric blue,  Liner - liquid liner above by Rimmel Exaggerate, electric blue shadow below, inner eyes vie precision eye liner in coal, Mascara - Maybelline the one by one volum express, Blusher -supercover 'deep red',  Lip Liner - supercover natural,  Lipstick -supercover orange/gold with supercover clear gloss top coat applied, High light - supercover fashion wheel #5, Shading -Kryolan Dark Brown eyebrow colour, To Finish - Dermacolor Fixing Spray making all make up waterproof and sweatproof. 
Foundation - supercover #41, Concealer - supercover #41, Powder - supercover ulltra fine setting powder colourless (white), Eyebrows - Kryolan eyebrow colour in Medium, Eye Colours - Kryolan Beige G base, Aubergine Socket and Gold Middle, Liner - Rimmel Exaggerate liquid eyeliner above, Vie Precision eyeliner in coal below and inner eyes,  Mascara - Maybelline the one by one volum express, Blush - Supercover in Auburn, Lipliner - Ben Nye in Red, Lipstick - Supercover in Dark Mauve, Highlight - supercover fashion wheenl #5, Shade - kryolan eyebrow shadow in medium, To Finish - Dermacolor Fixing Spray.
Going for the 'Beyonce look from her telephone video' Foundation - supercover #27, Concealor supercover #27, - Powder - supercover ultra fine setting powder colourless (white), Eyebrows - Kryolan eyebrow colour in Dark,  Eyeshadow -supercover in gold,  Liner -Rimmel Exaggerate Liquid eye liner, Vie Precision Liner in Coal below and inner eyes,  Mascara - Maybelline the one by one volum express, Blush -supercover in deep red,  Lipliner - Ben Nye in Red, Lipstick - Supercover Red with benetint on top finished by applying supercover top coat clear gloss, Highlight -supercover fashion wheel #5,  Shade - Kryolan eyebrow powder in Medium, set with Dermacolor fixing spray.
'The Bride' - Foundation - supercover #34, Concealor - supercover #34, Powder - supercover ultra fine setting powder colourless (white), Eyebrows -Kryolan eyebrow colour in Dark Eyeshadow, Eyeshadow - Kryolan Beige G base, Unbranded Purple on the socket and outer corners, Unbranded silver in the middle, Liner -Rimmel Exaggerate Liquid eye liner above, Vie Prcision eyeliner in coal below and inners Mascara - Maybelline the one by one Volum Express Blush - Kryolan in Pink, Lipliner - supercover in natural, Lipstick - Shiseido in Bordeux Highlight -supercover fashion wheel #5 Shade - kryolan eyebrow shadow in Medium, Finished with Dermacolor fixing spray - keeping all make up waterproof and sweat proof throughout the day.

If you want any information on any of the products that I have listed, please feel free to email me at amy@bridalmakeupbyamy.com or please leave a comment below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to cover up a tattoo using Camouflage creams

As a cosmetic camouflage practitioner I get asked to cover up scars, burn marks, port wine stains, birth marks, broken capillaries, Rosacea, eczema and all other skin conditions and discolourations.  When I am doing a wedding, I often get asked to cover up a tattoo or two! Below I will outline how you can cover up your own tattoo using Cosmetic camouflage creams. There are many creams available on the market, my product of choice is Dermacolor by Kryolan - this is endorsed by many companies including British Association of British Camouflage and Skin Camouflage Network.  Some of the products are also available on Prescription if your doctor gives you a prescription for the product - otherwise you can buy it direct from Charles H Fox.  1. - tattoo before any cosmetic camouflage creams have been applied. 2. If the tattoo is black, you need to apply a red colour on top of the black to neutralise the colour - I apply the product using a lip brush or liner brush....

Hair & Make-up for the Costume Store's new website

It was great to work with stylist Kate Vaughn and Photographic Studio Imago Photography on this photoshoot providing updated photos for the costume store to use on their website. I was required to apply a very natural make-up with period hair so that the final look could go with all costume changes. The model adapted extremely well and thoroughly enjoyed playing 'dress up' for the day. The costume store is based just outside of Lewes and it is a place where you can visit to buy costumes to be used in TV, Film and Theatre productions. For more photos of this photo shoot please visit the website -  https://thecostumestore.co.uk Hair and make-up by Amy Prifti -  http://www.amyprifti.co.uk Styling by Kate Vaughn Photography by  http://imagophotographic.co.uk/

Fashion Editorial for Solis Magazine - A make up artist's point of view

You can see my full Fashion Editorial for Solis Magazine here  Solis Magazine - Crazy Beautiful As well as sharing the above article, I wanted to write something a bit more personal. I am going to begin with the end of the day..... Once this photo shoot had finished,  I dropped everyone back at the train station to go home. Photographer David Long turned to me and asked 'you know you're good, right?' These five little words asked to an artist are not easy to answer. I can say that I know I'm not a bad make up artist, and I can say that I  know I am good enough to make a career out of it. Being a make up artist is my life, it is all I have ever loved, it is all I have ever known, it is all I have ever wanted to be. I realise that I am extremely lucky to be doing what I love and I will make sure that I carry on doing it, I have worked as a make up artist whilst travelling abroad, it has seen me through one marriage and two beautiful children, and carries on g...