Skip to main content

Creating the hair and make-up for Fashion Editorial


It was great to get to work with Photographer Emma-Jane Lewis and an all female team on this shoot back in November 2016.

We was joined by Stylist Zoe Van Spyk of We are Water Vintage and Models Markie Pearl and Wiktoria Saajcxyk.  We shot this set at Tichbourne Studios in Brighton.

Before hand, the entire team had quite a lot of communication and for this set we was working to the following brief - 'Strong lines, pantsuits. Block colours as well as the odd floral. 
And Stylist Zoe didn't let us down with the wardrobe she provided! 
Although we have as much communication as possible Pre-shoot, we never know what to expect until the actual day when everyone turns up and we take a look at what we have to work with.  With this in mind, I never fully 'set' a hair and make-up look as these are always subject to change!
It was a privilege to have these images published in BeauNu Magazine and is always a nice little perk of the job to see my work in print.

Hair & Make-Up
I created the hair and make-up for this shoot loosely based on the brief and mainly once I had met the models and seen the outfits.  It was obvious that this was quite a strong, masculine set of images and I wanted to create strong make-up to tie in with this whilst adding texture to the hair to combine with the textured clothing.
Meet Markie Pearl - An absolutely stunning model and lovely person who is extremely versatile.  Markie has petite features that can adapt to both soft and hard looks so I really wanted to play on this.
I wanted understated hair so pulled this back using my fingers rather than a brush and secured in to a pony tail.  That way I could let the make-up do the talking.
Knowing that Markie was wearing Red and Black, I decided to use these two colours for the make-up. Markie has near perfect skin so didn't need much foundation and concealer on her face at all.  I applied a little powder so that she didn't look too shiny in front of the camera.
I filled in her eyebrows using a powder and then got to work on the eyes - I applied a red eyeshadow over the entire lid and then used Maybelline gel eyeliner to apply the black to the inner eye.  I didn't want to blend this or make it too soft so I used the brush to bring this towards the outer eye.  I also applied this as an eyeliner along Markie's lash line.
I finished with mascara to the upper and lower lashes.  To tie in, I used a red blusher to bring out Markie's cheek bones and finished by lining and filling in her lips with a red lipstick.  All in all, quite minimal make-up was used to create a bold look.
This is the gorgeous Wiktoria.  I have been wanting to work with Wiktoria for a while now as I love her look and quite frankly she has hair to die for!  Not only is it really thick and really long but I am so grateful that she hasn't had layers cut into her hair and it is all one length which really makes creating hairstyles a lot easier. 
Seeing as Wiktoria was wearing clashing floral's, colours and textures, I wanted to create something similar with her hair and make-up.  I decided to create three plaits in her hair, pinning the first one around her head and then leaving two at the back for length.  It was great to see her incorporate playing with her hair in these shots.
I decided to go with a similar make-up on Wiktoria as I did on Markie to tie the two looks in together but of course used different colours.
I applied a light foundation to Wiktoria's face and concealed where necessary before setting with powder.  I filled in her eyebrows with powder and set in to place using a clear mascara.  I covered the eyelid with a gold eyeshadow that wanted to slightly clash with the clothes she was wearing and then applied black gel liner to create a bold shape and colour to the inner of the eye, once again bringing this colour out but not blending too much as I wanted this to be strong.
I applied an orange toned blusher to bring out her cheekbones and finished with red liner and lipstick to tie in with Markie's look.
I hope you enjoy this set, please let me know if you have any questions about any of the looks that were created.

Credits 
Hair and make-up - Amy Prifti 
Photographer - Emma-Jane Lewis










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to cover up a tattoo using Camouflage creams

As a cosmetic camouflage practitioner I get asked to cover up scars, burn marks, port wine stains, birth marks, broken capillaries, Rosacea, eczema and all other skin conditions and discolourations.  When I am doing a wedding, I often get asked to cover up a tattoo or two! Below I will outline how you can cover up your own tattoo using Cosmetic camouflage creams. There are many creams available on the market, my product of choice is Dermacolor by Kryolan - this is endorsed by many companies including British Association of British Camouflage and Skin Camouflage Network.  Some of the products are also available on Prescription if your doctor gives you a prescription for the product - otherwise you can buy it direct from Charles H Fox.  1. - tattoo before any cosmetic camouflage creams have been applied. 2. If the tattoo is black, you need to apply a red colour on top of the black to neutralise the colour - I apply the product using a lip brush or liner brush....

Hair & Make-up for the Costume Store's new website

It was great to work with stylist Kate Vaughn and Photographic Studio Imago Photography on this photoshoot providing updated photos for the costume store to use on their website. I was required to apply a very natural make-up with period hair so that the final look could go with all costume changes. The model adapted extremely well and thoroughly enjoyed playing 'dress up' for the day. The costume store is based just outside of Lewes and it is a place where you can visit to buy costumes to be used in TV, Film and Theatre productions. For more photos of this photo shoot please visit the website -  https://thecostumestore.co.uk Hair and make-up by Amy Prifti -  http://www.amyprifti.co.uk Styling by Kate Vaughn Photography by  http://imagophotographic.co.uk/

Fashion Editorial for Solis Magazine - A make up artist's point of view

You can see my full Fashion Editorial for Solis Magazine here  Solis Magazine - Crazy Beautiful As well as sharing the above article, I wanted to write something a bit more personal. I am going to begin with the end of the day..... Once this photo shoot had finished,  I dropped everyone back at the train station to go home. Photographer David Long turned to me and asked 'you know you're good, right?' These five little words asked to an artist are not easy to answer. I can say that I know I'm not a bad make up artist, and I can say that I  know I am good enough to make a career out of it. Being a make up artist is my life, it is all I have ever loved, it is all I have ever known, it is all I have ever wanted to be. I realise that I am extremely lucky to be doing what I love and I will make sure that I carry on doing it, I have worked as a make up artist whilst travelling abroad, it has seen me through one marriage and two beautiful children, and carries on g...