Skip to main content

Creating the hair and make-up for Fashion Editorial


It was great to get to work with Photographer Emma-Jane Lewis and an all female team on this shoot back in November 2016.

We was joined by Stylist Zoe Van Spyk of We are Water Vintage and Models Markie Pearl and Wiktoria Saajcxyk.  We shot this set at Tichbourne Studios in Brighton.

Before hand, the entire team had quite a lot of communication and for this set we was working to the following brief - 'Strong lines, pantsuits. Block colours as well as the odd floral. 
And Stylist Zoe didn't let us down with the wardrobe she provided! 
Although we have as much communication as possible Pre-shoot, we never know what to expect until the actual day when everyone turns up and we take a look at what we have to work with.  With this in mind, I never fully 'set' a hair and make-up look as these are always subject to change!
It was a privilege to have these images published in BeauNu Magazine and is always a nice little perk of the job to see my work in print.

Hair & Make-Up
I created the hair and make-up for this shoot loosely based on the brief and mainly once I had met the models and seen the outfits.  It was obvious that this was quite a strong, masculine set of images and I wanted to create strong make-up to tie in with this whilst adding texture to the hair to combine with the textured clothing.
Meet Markie Pearl - An absolutely stunning model and lovely person who is extremely versatile.  Markie has petite features that can adapt to both soft and hard looks so I really wanted to play on this.
I wanted understated hair so pulled this back using my fingers rather than a brush and secured in to a pony tail.  That way I could let the make-up do the talking.
Knowing that Markie was wearing Red and Black, I decided to use these two colours for the make-up. Markie has near perfect skin so didn't need much foundation and concealer on her face at all.  I applied a little powder so that she didn't look too shiny in front of the camera.
I filled in her eyebrows using a powder and then got to work on the eyes - I applied a red eyeshadow over the entire lid and then used Maybelline gel eyeliner to apply the black to the inner eye.  I didn't want to blend this or make it too soft so I used the brush to bring this towards the outer eye.  I also applied this as an eyeliner along Markie's lash line.
I finished with mascara to the upper and lower lashes.  To tie in, I used a red blusher to bring out Markie's cheek bones and finished by lining and filling in her lips with a red lipstick.  All in all, quite minimal make-up was used to create a bold look.
This is the gorgeous Wiktoria.  I have been wanting to work with Wiktoria for a while now as I love her look and quite frankly she has hair to die for!  Not only is it really thick and really long but I am so grateful that she hasn't had layers cut into her hair and it is all one length which really makes creating hairstyles a lot easier. 
Seeing as Wiktoria was wearing clashing floral's, colours and textures, I wanted to create something similar with her hair and make-up.  I decided to create three plaits in her hair, pinning the first one around her head and then leaving two at the back for length.  It was great to see her incorporate playing with her hair in these shots.
I decided to go with a similar make-up on Wiktoria as I did on Markie to tie the two looks in together but of course used different colours.
I applied a light foundation to Wiktoria's face and concealed where necessary before setting with powder.  I filled in her eyebrows with powder and set in to place using a clear mascara.  I covered the eyelid with a gold eyeshadow that wanted to slightly clash with the clothes she was wearing and then applied black gel liner to create a bold shape and colour to the inner of the eye, once again bringing this colour out but not blending too much as I wanted this to be strong.
I applied an orange toned blusher to bring out her cheekbones and finished with red liner and lipstick to tie in with Markie's look.
I hope you enjoy this set, please let me know if you have any questions about any of the looks that were created.

Credits 
Hair and make-up - Amy Prifti 
Photographer - Emma-Jane Lewis










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Married at Mecure Hotel, Brighton

I met Louise at her wedding trial when she said that she really didn't wear make-up that often and was a bit worried that her hair wouldn't look how she wanted due to the colour and condition. Roll forward a couple of months and Louise's hair was the colour and condition that she wanted and I was able to provide her with a hair piece from Annabelle's Wigs to lengthen the overall style for her wedding day. Louise was very lucky with the weather and her hotel room looked out over the Brighton seafront. On the day, I provided Louise and her mum with Gel Nails, Hair and Make-up - Here's my set up below. I always love getting brides ready for their wedding day in Brighton, it's lovely to have the calm sea with the sun shining. Hair and make-up by Amy Prifti - www.bridalmakeupbyamy.co.uk

British Heart Foundation Wear It Beat It Campaign

It was really great to be the hair and make-up artist for the new British Heart Foundation campaign - Wear It. Beat It 2017 -  https://wearitbeatit.bhf.org.uk This was a two day photoshoot working with a wonderful team from  Killer Creative  marketing agency. On the first day I worked with heart survivor's, consultants and surgeons which was great as I got to listen to a lot of amazing stories that people were happy to share.  In fact, this is one of the favourite parts of my work - getting to hear about other people's lives and the fact that people want share with me. On the second day, a lot of male, female and children models arrived to have their hair and make-up done so that the British Heart Foundation had a variety of photos to share for their next big advertising campaign. I really enjoyed being a member of the team that created photos for this campaign for the British Heart Foundation and look forward to

Hair & Make-up for the Costume Store's new website

It was great to work with stylist Kate Vaughn and Photographic Studio Imago Photography on this photoshoot providing updated photos for the costume store to use on their website. I was required to apply a very natural make-up with period hair so that the final look could go with all costume changes. The model adapted extremely well and thoroughly enjoyed playing 'dress up' for the day. The costume store is based just outside of Lewes and it is a place where you can visit to buy costumes to be used in TV, Film and Theatre productions. For more photos of this photo shoot please visit the website -  https://thecostumestore.co.uk Hair and make-up by Amy Prifti -  http://www.amyprifti.co.uk Styling by Kate Vaughn Photography by  http://imagophotographic.co.uk/